The Importance of Self Care
Posted: June 01, 2017
Categories: Skin Care
Taking care of yourself is important, but unfortunately, so many of us neglect to do it. We seem to have time to take care of so many other matters, yet forget the very real importance of self care. Whether you recognize the importance of self care or not, failure to focus on your own well-being can result in serious physical, mental, and emotional health challenges. In this article, we’ll talk about what self care is, why is self care important, the different aspects of self care, and what you can do to start your own self care plan today.
What is self care?
Self care (also referred to as “self-care”) is personal care you provide to yourself in order to maintain physical, mental, and emotional health. Taking personal time each day to focus on self care will help you stay happy and healthy as you care for your body, mind, and soul. Self care may include anything from taking a short walk, quick nap, avoiding social media, or staying current on your health care treatments and medications.
Why is self care important?
Self care is extremely important because it not only keeps you healthy, but also enables you to experience maximum levels of happiness and productivity in your life. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. You live with yourself 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so who better to take care of you than yourself? If you are honest with yourself and take some time to listen to your body and your mind, you’ll quickly be able to determine whether you are happy and living a healthy lifestyle. If you’re sometimes not feeling like your best self, you may want to consider spending a couple of extra minutes on self care.
What are the different types of self care?
There are numerous different types of self-care, but most elements of self care can fall under these three categories:
- Physical self care
- Mental self care
- Emotional self care
When it comes down to it, these three areas overlap and influence each other. As one area is strengthened, the others benefit as well. Physical self-care concerns the body, mental self-care has to do with the mind, and emotional self-care is all about feelings, social connection and emotions.
What is Physical Self Care?
Physical self care means taking good care of your body. This means anything from exercise and diet to sleep and treatment of health conditions. Do you have a skin condition? Use a topical ointment. Do you have any doctor-prescribed medications? Don’t forget to take them. If you feel lethargic, heavy, and tired, get up and get moving. Regular exercise will not only help you feel more invigorated, it will also improve your mental and emotional health.
Physical Self Care Ideas
- Go for a nice walk, run, or bike ride
- Take some time to walk around and explore nature
- Get plenty of sleep
- Daily drink half your weight in ounces of water
- Take any prescribed medications regularly
- Eat more fruits and vegetables and avoid processed foods
- Take natural dietary supplements
What is Mental Self Care?
Mental self-care means giving your mind the love, kindness, and relaxation it deserves. It could mean regular meditation or just time away from social responsibilities and distractions for stress management. Keep your mind sharp by reading every day. Pick up your favorite book and let your mind wander away from your busy life for a few minutes.
Mental Self Care Tips
- Read a good book
- Take time to meditate
- Unplug your electronic devices and clear your mind
- Have a good laugh
- Do something differently to break out of the mundane routine
- Spend some time doing your favorite hobby
What is Emotional Self Care?
Emotional self care may be one of the most important elements of self care. Pay attention to your mood. Are you anxious, discouraged, frustrated, or sad? If so, try some emotional self care. You can take care of yourself emotionally by filling your life with uplifting elements and choosing to dwell on the positive. Spend time with those you love and take time to help and serve others.
Emotional Self Care Tips
- Help someone out. Throughout your day, be extra attentive to those who need a helping hand or a smile. Try to find different ways to show kindness to others.
- Spend quality time with friends and loved ones
- Express your emotions through a journal
- Watch a sad movie for a good cleansing cry
- Listen to music that makes you feel good
Making a self care plan
Making a plan for your self care doesn’t have to be complicated. It all begins with self awareness. Start by evaluating your current physical, emotional, and mental health. Here is a quick self care checklist with some questions to help you see where you stand and know which areas of self care you need to focus on most.
Self Care Checklist
- Am I getting enough exercise?
- Am I eating healthy fruits and vegetables and avoiding processed foods?
- Am I getting sufficient sleep to function at a high level?
- Do I feel light and energetic throughout the day?
- Do I feel burned out in the middle of the day?
- Do I wake up feeling optimistic about the day?
- Does my mind feel foggy?
- Am I able to think clearly through complex problems?
- Do I feel happy at the beginning, middle, and end of the day?
- Do I frequently get angry and frustrated throughout the day?
- How often do I laugh or smile?
- Have my friends told me my spirits are low?
Hopefully, now you understand why self care is important. Once you’ve determined where you need to improve, make some resolutions and start taking better care of yourself. Start today and live the healthy life you deserve!